Thursday, September 29, 2011

see, I put my major to work!

Sorry it's been a while, I've been crazy busy. Monday after school I had a meeting for the Extended Learning Coordinator (thats my job, aside from working in the classrooms I also plan after school homework help and clubs that the student body wants to start) So I didn't get home until about 8:45 and was able to clock in a 12 hour day. Tuesday was similar, I had a meeting for Corps Council, a job I signed up to do, my job is to take the "pulse" of the team and make sure that the moral remains a good one. Once again I had a 12 hour work day, up at 5:30 home at 8:45. Finally yesterday we had a team meeting that went late and I was home around 7:30 (11 hour work day) so I'm a tad sleepy.
Update on a teacher for 3 of my classes -no one has been hired and we have a different sub everyday and they come late, like 40min to an hour late and they just sit behind the desk and won't help me. So today I decided to get to the bottom of the matter. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of,  yesterday 12 more students were moved to my class, making it 30 students vs me. If I wasn't there where would those students go? I can't do my job affectively, or at all without a teacher.
How did I get to the bottom of it? By just asking around, I had a meeting with a lady who is in charge of a program called "culture of calm". She told me why a permanent teacher hasn't been hired-
"this is off the record: They are looking for a teacher that has less teaching experience than any other teacher here at our school, because if we have to fire teachers again, its a requirement that we fire the teachers with the least amount of teaching experience. So if we hire a teacher that has 20 years experience but has no knowledge of how to deal with our students or work with our staff and we go through another firing of teachers we would have to  fire a teacher who has been with us for 10 years instead of the new (to our high school) teacher."
In other words there is no end in sight, as far as the issue with late substitute teachers; apparently that is also out of the schools control. However, if I have another substitute that comes in and just reads a library book, then I can report it and that sub won't be hired again.
What the school is doing for me is ordering me a packet that I think is normally for subs. It gives me a curriculum to work with and has a script of what to say to the class and how to do the different math problems.  The only thing is, the wrong problem is being fixed. The students already know I'm not a teacher, I don't have a teaching degree and I've never been trained for any of this.
As far a I know this is a situation that has never happened before with our company. Scary? yes, but also exciting. If I could make one prayer request it would be that these students have a real teacher soon, one that is qualified and won't let the students fail.  As much as I may feel that I'm in a tough situation, its nothing compared to what's happening to these students, every day they get more and more left behind.
On a brighter note, I'm starting a drama club! and I have permission to put on a play at the end of the year! I already have 30 students signed up and they are excited; I'm just not sure they are as excited as I am. I AM THRILLED!
God Bless and love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment