Sunday, April 22, 2012

looking ahead


So I have less than a month to work with my students and it’s not going to be easy to say goodbye, I don’t really want to think about it just yet and I’m sure I’ll have more to say about it later so I’ll hold off for a few weeks. 
My relationship with the students is still going to new places; I have to be careful not to be too much of a “friend” to some of them.  It’s gotten to the point however when I go to talk with students during their lunch period we spend much of the time joking around and having fun, which of course I enjoy but then in the class room some seem to be a little thrown off when I tell them not to use certain language or to be respectful to the teacher. I think I’ve said this a few times before but these kids are so grown up in some ways, in what they have to deal with outside of school, yet so immature in others, for instance many students still suck their thumbs and use infantile tactics to get attention. 
This summer I am hoping to get a job at a YMCA that is only about a 3/4ths a mile away.  I applied for a couple of summer jobs there; either a camp councilor or a unit leader.  While a camp councilor job would be fun working with younger kids, playing sports games and doing crafts.  I think the unit leader job is more appropriate for my age and what I am capable of (not to mention the pay is better).
A unit leader would be in charge of the camp councilors and making sure that they are doing their jobs efficiently.   I would be resolving conflicts not only among the children but dealing with adult issues also. 
Part 2 of my job interview is on the 29th and I think part 1 went very well.  It was hard for me to express just how qualified  (perhaps even over-qualified) I feel I am for this job and how not only would I love it, but I would excel at it.  This has been the first time in my life that I felt extremely capable of accomplishing a task with excellence that I hope I’m not being overly confident.  I’m finding that my drive to be a hard worker improves a lot when younger people are depending on me to do my job well. 
Anyway, if some prayers could be sent my way as I hunt for a new job that would be wonderful.  I think I may be in Chicago for a little while longer.
As always, love you!
(grandpa this blog was for you, I know you are my biggest blog fan and that means a lot to me, thank you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment