Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ugh. the ACT


Was just listening to a senior talk about her ACT score (a 16) and she has a 4.0 GPA. How is that possible? This girl is in all the advanced classes that our school offers and she goes above and beyond in class and yet she scores below average on the ACT.  I think the fault falls on a lot of people but obviously not the students. How are we supposed to tell this girl that although she is one of the schools star performers she still doesn’t qualify for any significant scholarships? So so so frustrating.
The good news is that my relationships with my students are constantly improving and the kids are no loner embarrassed to say they enjoy having me around.  I feel like a lot of these students are friends of mine, I miss them on the weekends and we never run out of things to talk about. (with some of the students, to get others to talk its still like pulling teeth)
Of course I know I need to be careful there is a fine line between mentor and friend and every once in a while I have to put my foot down. The job hasn’t lost its stress factor but it is becoming more and more fun!
Until next time
-Andy

1 comment:

  1. In college, we studied standardized test with regard to racial discrimination. It wasn't just about race either, poorer students struggled with standardized testing much more than wealthier students who were just as intelligent or even less intelligent than the poor ones. It is a problem that the education community still needs to work on, but at least it has been identified.

    ReplyDelete